Houston Discrimination Attorneys
Helping Clients Assert Their Rights When They’ve Been Mistreated
Discrimination is about control, an attempt to belittle or push employees down based upon improper and illegal reasons. Both state and federal law are in place to protect employees from discrimination. However, discrimination is still far too pervasive in the modern workplace.
There is no place in the workplace for this kind of activity. It creates a hostile work environment, keeping employees from doing what gives them purpose in life and feeling motivated. It causes employees to lose morale, which puts the entire company and all employees and their families at risk. Sometimes, it can lead to an employee losing their livelihood.
There are short time limits to bring a discrimination complaint to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and file suit. That's why it is important to reach out to an employment law attorney right away if you suspect you are a victim of discrimination. Our discrimination lawyers in Houston can help you protect your rights.
If you’re a victim of unlawful mistreatment in the workplace, contact the discrimination attorneys at Peckham Martin PLLC. Reach out to them online or call (713) 766-0051 to arrange a free initial consultation.
Protected Classes Are Safeguarded from Discrimination
Federal and Texas employment laws afford employees protection from several main types of discrimination:
- Age discrimination (40 or older)
- Sex discrimination
- Gender discrimination, including sexual harassment
- Pregnancy discrimination
- Race and color discrimination
- National origin discrimination
- Religious discrimination
- Disability discrimination
- Transgender status
- Sexual orientation
- Discrimination against membership in the armed services
- Discrimination based upon genetic information
What Makes a Strong Discrimination Case?
A strong discrimination case includes proof the employer did not take adverse action against an employee purely because of performance. Instead, they did so on the basis of someone’s actual or perceived association with a protected class.
Some signs of workplace discrimination include:
- Placing employees in fixed roles based on their membership in a protected class, such as their race or gender
- Disciplining employees in a protected class differently for the same infractions as other employees
- Removing key job responsibilities from or giving impossible tasks to employees in a protected class
- Passing over employees in a protected class for promotions or other advancement opportunities
- Denying employees protected leave, benefits, compensation, or retirement options due to their membership in a protected class
- Perpetuating or permitting inappropriate jokes, comments, or harassment in the workplace
Even unintended discrimination can be a cause for a lawsuit. For example, an employer implementing a policy that indirectly affects that protected group's ability to work can support a discrimination claim.
If you believe you were a victim of discrimination at work, reach out to Peckham Martin PLLC online for help.
Our discrimination attorneys in Houston have fought for clients across the Southern and Southwestern United States in coordination with our peers. We understand the experiencing discrimination at work is a confusing situation with complex emotions attached to it. We’ll stand beside you to help you navigate your claim and fight for fair and just compensation.
Take advantage of our free initial consultations. Reach out to our law firm online for assistance.
“You should definitely consider having these two fine lawyers as part of your team!”- Tom K.
Whether you are an individual or a lawyer in need of legal representation, we are here to help you with your case throughout the Southwest and beyond.