Retaliation Attorneys in Houston
Are You Being Targeted for an Illegal Reason?
In retaliation law, there are very short time limits to complain, to bring a complaint to the attention of the EEOC, and to file suit.
Federal and Texas anti-retaliation law affords employees protection unlawful retaliation. Retaliation is one of the fasting growing forms of wrongful termination and, because it’s easier to prove than unlawful discrimination, one of the biggest concerns for Texas employers.
If you’ve experienced punishment at work you think was illegally motivated, contact a retaliation attorney in Houston for help. Call Peckham Martin PLLC at (713) 766-0051 to get in touch with a lawyer who can support your claim.
What Is Considered an Act Protected from Retaliation?
Under federal and Texas law, an employer may not discharge or otherwise retaliate against an employee for:
- Filing an EEOC or TWC charge of discrimination
- Participating in an EEOC or TWC investigation
- Reporting unlawful discrimination, harassment, or retaliation to an employer
- Participating in an employer’s workplace discrimination or sexual harassment investigation
- Filing an unpaid overtime complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor
- Filing an unpaid overtime complaint with an employer
- Filing for or receiving Workers Compensation benefits
- Taking or intending to take maternity leave or other FMLA leave
- Refusing to perform an illegal act among some other limited matters
Strong retaliation cases usually include evidence that the employer did not treat everyone equally, failed to observe its own company policies, or made derogatory or offensive comments directed at the employee’s actions to protect themselves. It’s important to mention these details with a Houston retaliation attorney when you seek legal support.
If you think you need to fight a retaliation claim against an employer you believe has broken the law, contact Peckham and Martin PLLC online for assistance.
Whether you are an individual or a lawyer in need of legal representation, we are here to help you with your case throughout the Southwest and beyond.